Christa R. Haggai, Attorney-at-Law
October 21, 2014 at 9:27 pm
#YesOnProp46 #StopMicra #Prop46
October 9, 2014 at 3:24 pm
The Haggai Law Firm shared Yes On 46's photo.
Even our Governor who signed MICRA into law in 1975 realized the injustice of it! Please vote YES on Prop. 46 in November! Patient Safety Act on November ballot
October 3, 2014 at 7:32 pm
“Saddest of all, MICRA has revealed itself to have an arbitrary and cruel effect upon the victims of malpractice. It has not lowered health care costs, only enriched insurers and placed negligent or incompetent physicians outside the reach of judicial accountability. For these reasons, MICRA cannot and should not be a model for national legislation.” - Jerry Brown 1993 #YesOn46
September 22, 2014 at 9:51 pm
Big Insurance is spending a ton of money on ads to convince the public that Prop 46 is bad law.... I think it has more to do with protecting their surplus! #YesOn46
Since 1975, after complaints that medical malpractice insurance rates were out of control, Californians injured by medical malpractice have been limited by law in how much they can be awarded in compensation. But what’s out of control now is the money available for profits for medical malpractice i…
Slip and Fall Attorneys Los Angeles
Finding the Best Slip and Fall Attorney in Los Angeles
If you have had the misfortune of suffering an injury due to somebody else’s fault or carelessness, it is crucial that you find an attorney in Los Angeles who is experienced in personal injury law to maximize the possibility of getting the compensation you need. For many types of accidents, such as a slip and fall injury, it can be very difficult to place the blame where it is due, so you need a skilled lawyer in Los Angeles who has the expertise to counter all the wiles of the opposing side. At the Haggai Law Firm, we focus on personal injury law and understand the difficult situations that arise for the victims and their family. We take pride in the relationships we’ve established with each client and know that the personal approach we take with each client is one of the main reasons we have such a high success rate.
How Does A Slip and Fall Injury Occur?
A slip and fall accident – including trip and fall – can happen in all sorts of ways
- Slipping on liquid spilled on a floor, or on oil on a garage forecourt
- Slipping on ice or snow
- Tripping on loose flooring
- Tripping on electrical cord
- Tripping on a hole in the ground covered by grass
Being injured in a slip and fall accident in Los Angeles can be particularly distressing because it is unexpected and can be embarrassing if other people are around. You may prefer to forget about it, or you may not realize the extent of your injuries till much later. However, it is essential that you act as quickly as possible in order to ensure you collect essential evidence, such as photographs, plus the names of witnesses. In California, you have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit (statute of limitations), and this countdown starts from the day you fall.
Personal Injury Lawsuit In California
These are the main stages in a personal injury lawsuit in California.
- Once you have found the right attorney for personal injury law in California, explain the details of what happened. The attorney will file your complaint in court.
- The defendant – the owner of the premises – has a period of time to file an answer, possibly claiming that you were to blame. You have an equal time to respond to this.
- In the Discovery stage, the lawyer for each side will spend time gathering evidence to prove the client’s case.
- The defendant has the opportunity to file pre-trial motions, for instance for change of venue, dismissal of the case, or exclusion of certain evidence.
- Settlement negotiations – at any time the defense can offer to settle the case. Your lawyer in California will advise you as to whether this is in your interests or not, but it is your decision.
- If there is no settlement, the case goes either to a bench trial, decided by a judge, or to a jury trial.
Why Slip and Falls are Difficult To Prove
One of the difficulties in pursuing a claim for a slip and fall accident in Los Angeles is that it comes under Premises Liability law, which can often favor the owner of the property. In order to prove that the owners were legally liable for your accident under Premises Liability, you have to prove that:
- They caused the spill or hole; or
- They had known of it but failed to act; or
- They should have known of it because a reasonable person would have known of it.
The third scenario is the most common, but the hardest to prove under Premises Liability, because it is so difficult to define the word reasonable.
Suffering a slip and fall injury in California is bad enough without finding that you have accrued a huge medical bill, or lost months of earnings and cannot regain compensation. It is crucial that you find a skilled and experienced lawyer in Los Angeles, such as the Haggai Law Firm. Remember that the insurers for the owners will try every possible trick to take advantage of you and force as low a settlement as possible – and they have plenty of experience in doing this. The Haggai Law Firm has a unique level of expertise in dealing with these people, which means that no personal injury law firm in Los Angeles is likely to get you the results you need.
Christa R. Haggai